Let’s see. I am a certified personal trainer (CPT), group exercise instructor, nutritional counselor, and wellness counselor. My training background focuses mainly on getting overweight populations into shape, but I have worked with people wanting to gain strength/healthy weight and agility. I worked with the Army and the Marines for several years before settling into a civilian lifestyle. I’m still adjusting and I really miss it. I also enjoy coaching non-runners through their first running event. I post my workouts on here but remember that you need to seek medical advice prior to starting a new exercise regimine. Also, I’m working on a BS in dietetics to round out my wellness background. So far I love it :).
I also love food. I’ve been vegetarian for 10 years and 6 of the last years I have been completely vegan (since Jan 2006). I love food and I love to cook. I follow a strict diet that I do not recommend for everyone, but I really enjoy as it keeps me healthy and helps me to know what is going into my body.
Here are other random things that are necessary to know…
1. I believe this statement: “You have no right to interfere in someone else’s learning process.” This is why I do not force my opinion on anyone nor judge. You provide information and they can do what they want with this information.
2. This is a quote from Barbara Kingsolver that I constantly meditate on: “If we draw the okay-to-kill line between ‘animal’ and ‘plant’ and thus exclude meat, fowl, and fish from our diet on moral grounds, we still must live with the fact that every sack of flour and every soybean-based block of tofu came from a field where countless winged and furry lives were extinguished in the plowing, cultivating, and harvest.” Hmm…
3. I read a lot. I am addicted to it. One book will have a reference to another book and it is like a disease where I just keep reading. I have just finished Barbara Kingsolver’s Animal, Vegetable, Mineral and Rory Friedman and Kim Barnouin’s Skinny Bitch. I have a list of others that will be coming soon.
4. I have a Master’s degree in Women’s Studies and US Women’s History. My beliefs as a feminist are quite complicated. My thesis and main research surrounds domestic work and its de-valuation within society and feminism. I do not in fact “hate men.” I also have my own personal definition of what I believe encompasses feminism.
5. I love traveling. My travel bucket list includes: camping in Yosemite; camping in Yellowstone; hiking in the Grand Canyon; Maine (don’t ask me why); Prince Edward Island (what girl doesn’t want to be Anne Shirley); Morocco; Jordan; Dali museum near Barcelona; Fiji; back to Dubrovnik, Croatia; finding a private beach on a Greek Island; Bosnia-Herzegovina; Turkey . There are so many more, but that gives you an idea.
6. I have an unhealthy obsession with music. One thing I could not live without is my Ipod. I wear it at work. I wear it to workout. I listen to it instead of TV in the mornings. I love it.
7. Dark chocolate peanut butter from the Peanut Butter Co. is one form of kryptonite for me.
8. I have an unhealthy obsession with kitchen accessories.
9. I have a Basett Hound named “Bosley.” I love him very much and he will make appearances every now and then.
10. I love vegan cupcakes. My favorite bakery by far…Raphsodic. Not only is everything they offer vegan, they create wedding cakes, are a few blocks from my favorite running store, and in the heart of the Vietnamese section of town.