1. Favorite non-dairy milk? Definitely Almond milk. I was drinking soy milk all the time and then found the amazing-ness of almond milk. I typically drink Almond Breeze Brand unsweetened regular.
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook? Once we get to Europe and we have a kitchen of our own, I will probably be in there all day! Since it will be winter, I will probably be making a lot of soup. So definitely, homemade vegetable broth. But also homemade applesauce, butternut squash soup, and pumpkin soup. I have a recipe for roasting a whole pumpkin and creating the soup in the pumpkin shell. It doesn’t always work, but if it does, the presentation is amazing!
3. Topping of choice for popcorn? I amazingly really don’t eat popcorn. Sorry!
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure? When I was just a vegetarian I decided to make a cornish hen for J. When it came time to stuff the hen, I cried and J had to finish them. I just couldn’t do it. A vegan failure, which really wasn’t a failure was sending some homemade vegan chocolate chip cookies to J. After being in a box that long, apparently they were pretty nasty.
5. Favorite pickled item? pickled cucumbers of course…but I have enjoyed pickled peaches before
6. How do you organize your recipes? Right now they aren’t really organized, which is killing me. Once we get settled I plan on organizing with some dividers, but I also keep the vegan recipes separate from the non-vegan ones.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal? If it was my choice, compost!
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)? mmm…avocado, seitan,almond butter
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood? My mom made dinner for myself and my brother almost everyday. She was really concerned with our health and always made a point to make us dinner even after a full day of work. We hardly ever ate out, and when we did my mom would take us to healthier places like Subway. That is what inspires me to cook my own food as much as possible. Plus it can be difficult to eat out and be vegan.
10. Favorite vegan ice cream? Chocolate Tofutti
11. Most loved kitchen appliance? I can only pick one?! It would be a toss up between my food processor and my mandoline (maybe this isn’t an appliance?).
12. Spice/herb you would die without? Does salt count? If not it would be fresh basil or rosemary.
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time? My grandmother’s church cookbook probably. I like to collect older cookbooks mainly for the historical importance.
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly? Traditionally strawberry. Otherwise I like muscadine/scuppernog or crabapple.
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend? Well since J is omni and is really averse to trying anything vegan, I will go with the stuff that I served people at work. Usually, it would be cupcakes from VCTOtW or the varying flavors of vegan blondies. I really haven’t had the opportunity to cook an entree for an omni person.
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh? Without a doubt, tempeh.
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)? Dinner!
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator? I don’t have my own refrigerator right now :(. But when I did there was a large wicker basket that contained different coffees (for J the french press coffee lover) and “fancy” napkins.
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking. Frozen brown rice, precooked whole-wheat angel hair pasta, some sort of Amy’s microwave meal.
20. What’s on your grocery list? Seriously! Usually fruit and veggies that are in season, almond milk, soy yogurt, cereal, Vitamin water, some beans, maybe wine :), and that is usually it for me.
21. Favorite grocery store? The one that is accessible to me is Publix. Overall, I love Whole Foods, mainly because of the bulk bins and the hot bar. I’ve never been to a Trader Joe’s but I think that would be a fabulous one as well.
22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet. My mom’s pound cake recipe.
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa’s because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3? Eatliverun.com; yeahthatveganshit.blogspot.com; and thevoraciousvegan.blogspot.com…those are just off the top of my head. There are so many that I check everyday thanks to bloglines.
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate? Dark chocolate with almonds or mint
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately? Hmm, probably my exotic salt collection. I had a blast testing them and also got to try smoked salt which is really awesome.
26. Ingredients you are scared to work with? Honestly, tofu. I don’t know why, but I really can’t get past the idea that I feel like I’m eating a sponge. I’ve never been able to flavor it well enough to trick my mind past the mouth-feel.
I’ll post again later on, so you get a lucky two for one today!